Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Vintage Q&A, snagged from Mari


1.      Who are your style icons?

Grace Kelly is my absolute top of the list, Marilyn of course, Ann Baxter, Ann-Margaret, Lucille Ball

2.      What is your favorite way to get inspired?

Watching TCM or Antenna TV, Trolling ebay, or just reorganizing my jewelry collection. Just the act of touching earrings or bracelets will cause me to see new color variations and patterns and then want to create. I’ll also regularly go through my fabric collection looking for new ways to use what I have

3.      What is your most used hair tool?

My curling iron. I’m all thumbs when it comes to wet sets, but I will curl my hair on high heat, and while its still warm, wrap it around a plastic roller and clip it up until it cools. I go through setting lotion and thermo protectant like crazy

4.      What is your favorite hair tool?

Motions setting foam and single prong curl clips. Also my synthetic rat. I’m a germophobe so using my own old hair to make a rat gives me the heebies.

5.      Up-do? Down? Or half and half

My hair is cut in a short Grace Kelly so usually down and flipped, though I’m looking in to getting a clip in ponytail extension for versatility

6.      Is vintage something you do every day, on weekends, or for special occasions?  

Ultimately I would like to do it every day, but as I’m in the process of losing weight, I don’t want to make dresses in a size I’m transitioning through. In the interim I accessorize vintage like mad through jewelry and purses. Once I am at my goal weight, I will be vintage/reproduction as often as possible. For now its modern garb

7.       What is your favorite blush and lipstick?

Blush wise, its usually blushing baby doll by Jane, or benetint, or a light sweep of bronzer, depending on the look I’m after. For lipstick I blend three different blue red shades, all from wet and wild (on the cheap!) to get my perfect red look, and then gloss gloss gloss

8.      Dress, skirt, or pants? Heels or Flats?

For now, pants. Once I’ve lost weight, dresses and skirts. Usually low heels, wedges, and flats. I cant walk in or wear high heels due to a back injury. I also have saddle shoes and white keds for casual

9.      Off the rack or homemade?

Dresses are homemade, sweaters are authentic vintage or thrifted reproductions. In my opinion, a black cardi is a black cardi and I can get a beautiful one for $4 at Savers.

10.   Do you swing dance?

Yes. I haven’t in a very long time, but I can probably with a little prodding recall west coast and lindy, with a little jitterbug in for good measure. I also know how to stroll and bop

11.    Extreme Vintage or subtle touches?

This question confuses me. When it comes to jewelry, extreme vintage. Day to day wear, subtle touches. All of my glassware is authentic vintage as well as my bakeware and 90% of my kitchen stuff. Furniture is a mix of modern and authentic vintage

12.   Favorite Perfume?

Depending on the season, Nantucket Briar by Crabtree and Evelyn, Maybe Baby by benefit, Japanese Cherry blossom by Bath and Body works

13.   Favorite skincare product?

Jergens ultra healing lotion, coty airspun powder, Neutrogena sunscreen

14.   What does your family think of your style?

My mom thinks its pretty funny, not in a cruel way, but she was a child of the 50’s so she just groans when I bring things home she had as a kid. She thinks I have a great eye for style and fabrics and colors.

15.    Favorite accessory?

A toss up between my Lucite purse and my confetti Lucite pin in the shape of the state of Nevada

16.   Do you find the vintage community welcoming or snobby?

Ha, what a loaded question. Girls by nature are competitive, so there’s a possibility of finding snobs. If someone finds a good deal I’m half jealous I didn’t find it first, and half thrilled that they saved this amazing piece from oblivion.

17. What drew you to vintage style?
Well, I was raised on oldies and Nick at Night as a kid. I couldn’t tell you anything about shows from the 80s like Cosby or Full House, but I know every episode of Lucy and Jeanie. In high school, one of my friends invited me to her swing dance class and I was hooked. I love the floofy dresses of the 50’s, and the modesty and simplistic nature of the era.

18.   Favorite places to shop vintage?

What, and give away all of my secrets???  Just kidding. I love thrift shops and antique malls. I especially look for pieces others may not want because they need a little restoration. Nothing a little paint, soap, and elbow grease cant make pretty again.

19.    What vintage eras are your favorite?

The 50’s for sure, with a little bit of late 40’s and early 60’s thrown in. I love WWII sweetheart jewelry, but I find 40’s dresses not opulent enough for me. So much of that decade was rationed for war time, and while the tailoring is beautiful, I love the excessive nature of the 50s. Once fabric was off ration, people went fashion crazy. When Dior launched his New Look collection in 1947, that’s when the full skirt look really took off.

20.  Most glamorous film stars?

Ava Gardner, Katherine Hepburn, Veronica Lake, Marilyn and Grace naturally

21.   Favorite vintage object that you own?

No fair making me pick just one!!! Well, I do love all of my pyrex, but I’d have to say my overall favorite is my lazy daisy rotating snack tray, had for a mere $15 dollars in downtown Reno

Adding some questions of my own:

22.  Favorite films?

All about Eve, Viva Las Vegas, Bus Stop, the seven year itch, gentlemen prefer blondes

23.  Favorite tunes? (vintage or modern)

Modern Rockabilly: Deke Dickerson, The straight 8’s, Nikki Hill, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Royal Crown Revue

Oldies: Elvis, Bill Haley and his Comets, Buddy Holly, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Paul Anka, sooo many more that I don’t even have room to list









1 comment:

  1. Since moving up here I have to use really thick non greasy body lotion. I do like Jergens but it doesn't provide enough moist for me.

    I really like Kim Lenz and her Jaguars. On Pandora, I have a "rockabilly" station saved and it plays a lot of really great music.

    ReplyDelete