Friday, February 15, 2013

Bed Sheet becomes boogie worthy dress

Ok, first off, Butterick says this pattern is "easy". I call bullshit. In theory its easy, but setting the zipper was a nightmare, the darts are insane, and there is so much skirt going on that trying to keep everything lined up drove me to drink. Yes, I'm having a rum and coke.

The sheet was purchased at the UCP thrift store on Oddie Blvd in Sparks, I got 2 flat sheets and a pillowcase for $2.88, and only used one flat sheet for the dress, so fabric cost was about $1.50, the pattern was $1.50, and I had the zipper but probably paid $1.50 so the whole dress was less than $5 in raw material


Close up of the pattern. I made it in a size 16, which is a 30" waist, my goal measurement.


Finished product, shown with my floofy pink crinoline underneath. It needs to hang for awhile for the bias to settle before I can hem it




4 comments:

  1. You did a great job. That turned out very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm really pleased with the final result. I think I'm going to modify the skirt part of the pattern into individual skirts because I like the lay of the pattern so much. a 7" zipper with no lining isnt as pain in the ass as a 20" zipper sandwiched into lining haha

      Delete
    2. On most dress, I just line the bodice. I never bother with the skirt unless the fabric is very thin but then again I try no to buy thin or sheer fabric too often.

      Delete
  2. Aaww...that's so beautiful single dress!!
    I wish I can make the same single piece dress for myself. I can't believe that you have used even a single flat bed sheets to make this beautiful dress.
    Outstanding work.
    Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete