Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A quick magazine rack restoration

I picked up this mid-mo brass magazine rack for less than $1 at the Reno-Sparks Gospel Mission thrift shop, primarily for its bones, its in great structural shape, but its finish was severely lacking in shine and color uniformity. A quick $4 and a few hrs later, it has a bright shiny glow and its a new place for my vintage and crafting books.

Here is the before:



I swear by this Rust-oleum metallic gold paint. I've been painting everything with it lately. It gives a nice matte brass look which is very 50's atomic. Also my beige carpet is NOT friendly for taking photos, sheesh. The metal was extremely discolored, worn down to almost steel gray in some places.


Bibbity... bobbity... BAM!





A nice uniform gold color now, and its going to hold my books nicely.

I cleaned the whole rack and primed it with a light coat of white primer, just to give the paint something to stick to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment