Friday, July 5, 2013

I hope I dont become a hipster

My heart has sunk a little, reading some blogs about peoples Viva experiences. How it was so much better when it was at the Gold Coast, etc etc. I suppose when you've been going to an event for so long, and you watch it evolve and grow, it can get a little sour when changes are made that you dont like.

As I've evolved and developed my vintage and rockabilly style, especially over the last 6 months, I've come to terms with several things:

1. You dont have to wear all vintage to fit in.
2. You dont have to know every obsure band
3. You dont have to conform to ANY "rule" in terms of fashion or taste.

So here is my revised guide to "Be Rockabilly"

1. Wear what you love and what makes you feel good. Even if it's capri pants from walmart and a boy beater tank. Rock it. Own it. Let your amazing personality shine through.

2. Its ok if you dont know who a band is. I didnt know much beyond Bryan Setzer for a very long time. Thanks to recommendations from blogs and poking around on the internet have I discovered my beloved Deke, and other amazing artists like Nikki Hill, the Straight 8's, Roy Rapid, etc. When you have the opportunity, share your love of a great band, dont judge me for not knowing (and often caring) who they are.

Thats really it. If Viva was a bad time for you, dont go. Give me your room at the Orleans and stay the hell home. Drama will be everywhere. I shamelessly admit to loving drama. Not mine, but watching other peoples explode. Its free entertainment. But if at all possible, leave it at home, if it tries to follow you, walk away.

I hope 10 years from now, at Riot 13, I'm not posting a blog entry whining about how it was sooo much cooler back in 2013.

Beat me with my lucite purses if I ever do.

6 comments:

  1. I take it you read The Temperamental Broad's complain-y post? Yeah it seemed like she was making a big deal about "the drama". I will admit drama makes my head spin but I don't let it ruin my day. Especially after having a drink or two, I just say "Fuck it." No point in letting ruin your vacation.

    I was really looking forward to Viva next year but right know I'm not sure if we're going to go or not. My husband's new job doesn't pay nearly as well as the other one did so we may not have a lot of extra money. Did you already reserve your room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw her's and several others complaining. All long time attendees. It just put me off. I'm going and Im going to have a damn good time.

      The Orleans is booked up but I think my friend and I are going to kip down at the Gold Coast where Deborah and her husband are staying. Thats on my agenda of things to do soon is reserve that room

      Delete
    2. Don't let it put you off. Some people will never be satisfied with what they do or like. Try it out for yourself and then figure it out.

      Delete
    3. Hey ladies, I went to Viva last year at it was amazing. Ignore those other girls! And book your room now!!!! They will sell out, if they haven't already.

      Hellcat Vintage

      Delete
  2. Well I went and had a great time. It was our first time so maybe we just dint know the difference. I also think it's all about who go with and choose to be around. I've only read a few post Viva posts because I don't want anyone to.ruin what was a blast for me. Ohhhhh! Maybe we can meet up next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that! And I totally agree that its going to be as fun as you make it, and not let others dictate what kind of time you have or what drama effects you

      Delete